In a stunning announcement made in downtown Amman, HRH Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein confirmed that he will run again for football’s top job.
HRH Prince Ali made his announcement in front of the old Roman Amphitheatre to the delight of well wishers, and said his bid to become FIFA President would be based on a campaign stressing reform and integrity.
HRH Prince Ali ran in the previous FIFA election in May, denying long-time incumbent Sepp Blatter a majority in the first round of voting. He stepped aside before the second round. Four days later, Blatter announced his plans to quit as separate U.S. and Swiss criminal investigations into soccer corruption escalated.
“It is only through new leadership that FIFA can change,” said HRH Prince Ali. “I do not believe that FIFA can give this sport back to the people of the world, without new leadership, untainted by the practices of the past.
“We must overcome deep-seated corruption and political deal-making,” Prince Ali said. “FIFA will not be run as the personal fiefdom of an all-powerful clique.”
So far two other main candidates have been announced, current UEFA President Michel Platini and South Korea’s Chung Mong-joon. The election will take place on February 26, 2016.